History of Covenant Hospital Plainview
The first hospital in Hale County was a private facility established in a residence by Dr. J.V. Guyton in 1912. The Guyton-Nichols Sanitarium was established the following year when Guyton formed a partnership with Dr. E.O. Nichols and together they built a 12-room hospital in the 800 block of West 8th Street. The two-story and basement structure was called the Plainview Sanitarium.
After many years of changing locations and hospital names, Covenant Hospital Plainview was born through the merger of two of our area’s most venerable heath care facilities, St. Mary of the Plains Hospital and Lubbock Methodist Hospital System. Covenant is part of St. Joseph Health, one of the most successful not-for-profit health systems in the United States.
Fact and Statistics
Covenant Hospital Plainview is the only hospital in Hale County, serving the surrounding counties of Swisher, Lamb, Castro, and Floyd. Covenant Hospital Plainview has over 300 employees and 20 active medical staff.
On average, Covenant Hospital Plainview performs over 1,800 outpatient surgeries, delivers over 600 babies, and sees over 30,000 patients in the clinic each year.
The mission of Covenant Hospital Plainview is to provide quality medical and health care services, including education, to the people of the South Plains in a manner which demonstrates Christian concern while maintaining the fiscal integrity of the institution.
Our vision is to become a regional center for medical excellence by networking with the area healthcare facilities and physicians.